Go Back   Shoe Vomit > The Econopocalypse > COVID-19

Old 16-07-2020, 14:23   #11
ChemicalKicks
BRO

ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
I've only used the TP-Link ones, but I can't imagine what else you'd want them to do. The coverage and speed is really good, and you can do everything you'd want a router to do in the app.
I suppose one of the things I like about with the Google hobbies is that the integration with Google Home, which I'm balls deep in at the mo.
ChemicalKicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 17:31   #12
ChemicalKicks
BRO

ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.ChemicalKicks is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Need some advice.

We just upgraded to Gig1 with Virgin.

I had a TP Link C50 (I think) it could top out at 800 odd on wifi..... but when I put the new SH4 into modem mode I couldn’t get more than 150 down on the 5G network. Putting the SH4 back into router mode I could get 550 down / 50 up.

I didn’t have QoS or anything enabled so I don’t know why the speeds dropped so much. Looking for a recommendation for a decent WiFi 6 router than can do more than 1Gbit wireless on 5G none of this combined speed shit you get in the adverts, ideally don’t want to spend more than 200
Old 18-03-2021, 22:39   #13
Chuckles
happy

Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

I wrote a longer post but list it

But the short answer was if you have a way of getting 550mb wireless, don't bother as getting any more speed than that over more than literally a couple of feet isn't really possible.

I redid all my network with decent Unifi stuff and don't really get anything more than that. I just ran CAT6 round the outside of the house to a my desk upstairs and a second Access point. That gets me full speeds wired and about 550 over most of the house (drops to 300mb at most).

The problem with meshing is some of the bandwidth is used for the backbone. Its's best for killing black spots rather than speed.

Neither myself or iam want to spend hours cleaning threads up and dealing with RTM's so do us a favour and reign it in a bit please.

This is now serious business.
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2021, 23:20   #14
ChemicalKicks
BRO

Thanks for typing that all out twice haha I didn’t realise 550 was all that good, I figured I would be able to get faster, is there a potential max speed you can get over 5G? Also I was thinking about back hauling over power line adapters or is that a shit idea?
Old 18-03-2021, 23:43   #15
Chuckles
happy

Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Its the same with power line really, you get a theoretical max and a real world max that doesn't really compare. I've used AV2000 powerline but they did about 85mb from downstairs to upstairs. They also had occasional dropouts. In the end I got fucked off with all the other options and just ran cable.

That said it was more for the connection to my NAS than internet. If you can get 500mb over WiFi, I'd have thought that was more than virtually all stuff you'd do on a mobile device would utilise anyway.

If you don't want to cable yourself, I think Virgin will relocate your router for 100 quid if not less. You get it moved to where your PC is.

Neither myself or iam want to spend hours cleaning threads up and dealing with RTM's so do us a favour and reign it in a bit please.

Old 18-03-2021, 23:49   #16
Chuckles
happy

I just did an iperf3 test right next to a 200 quid unifi AP to my NAS which is wired into the network and got 595mb. I think anything more is going to be a real struggle for WiFi.

Old 19-03-2021, 12:01   #17
ChemicalKicks
BRO

I really appreciate your insight about it. I was just out the back having a smoke and realised I had a really good wifi connection in the back garden, it always disconnected on SH3 and the archer. I guess I don’t need anything else right now. Even my amp connected and I always had to have that wired before, I’ll save the money for some beer, for now anyway the SH4 seems to be doing just great.

Looking at the speed test results I get between 535 and 579, that’s pretty decent for a free router I guess. Upstairs I get 250.

Okay I’m a happy happy haha

What internet package you on?
Old 19-03-2021, 13:40   #18
Chuckles
happy

M600. I get 640/42 wired. 1GB not available in my area yet so that's just through the SH3 in modem mode.

Old 20-03-2021, 15:02   #19
Moses
Baron Balderdash

Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Moses is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/smart...-mesh-kit/buy/

Bought that the other week. Get approx 395mbps down and approx 95mbps up. Have 900 fibre from BT. Have Cat6a to every room so consoles/computers are plugged into that... which means 395/95 wifi is more than sufficient lols.

Only downside is now China has all my data, but yolo.
Old 20-03-2021, 17:30   #20
ChemicalKicks
BRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/smart...-mesh-kit/buy/

Bought that the other week. Get approx 395mbps down and approx 95mbps up. Have 900 fibre from BT. Have Cat6a to every room so consoles/computers are plugged into that... which means 395/95 wifi is more than sufficient lols.

Only downside is now China has all my data, but yolo.
I?d seen that on Amazon for ?50.

Last night the SH4 shit the bed, lost all WiFi throughout the house so plugged in the TP link again. Speeds after fiddling top out at 400/50. How is the super hub able to get so much faster?