PDA

View Full Version : New phone time boys

ChemicalKicks
29-09-2020, 15:56
Okay.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo

I've got a Pixel 3 XL, had it 2 years now.

I'm looking at Pixel 5 - although apparently the specs aren't great but I can forgive that cos it's Pixel :dolefrog:

Also like the look of Sony Xperia 1 II 5G

Potentially the Samsung S20 / + / Ultra

What would you chose or what have you got recently I need some idea's. iPhone is out of the question as I'm balls deep in Android.

FUCK YOU

Stagflation
30-09-2020, 07:28
What's wrong with your current one?

If you want a bargain I'd get a Xiaomi 9t or the pro version if you want to play games.

ChemicalKicks
30-09-2020, 09:09
What's wrong with your current one?

If you want a bargain I'd get a Xiaomi 9t or the pro version if you want to play games.

I was going to roll on until this one died but then I dropped it 3 weeks ago and the back glass broken on me FS it's still useable but I really would like another. Nothing is overly compelling though so I get where you're coming from.

Google is doing a reveal event today for a couple of new things including phone so I'll give that a go later see what the P5 is like.

Don't the Xiaomi phones have issues with Google play now?

Malcolm Tucker
30-09-2020, 09:15
There's a trick you can do to fix the glass really cheaply and easily

1. Clean the surface as best you can with a microfibre cloth.
2. Lay it flat on a bench or work surface.
3. Slide it into the bin.
4. iPhone

Stagflation
30-09-2020, 09:56
Don't the Xiaomi phones have issues with Google play now?

Don't think so, that's Huawei phones IIRC.

ChemicalKicks
01-10-2020, 23:36
Ah FFS Pixel 5 is fucking shit, it's a downgrade to the P3, what am I supposed to do?

Northerner
02-10-2020, 09:11
Galaxy S20 FE

ChemicalKicks
02-10-2020, 15:59
Galaxy S20 FE

Do you have a Galaxy?

I was looking at the FE but it's got GG3 and not 6 which even the P5 has. That said it's a great phone with great specs for the price + it comes with a snapdragon 865 when the rest of the premium galaxy line get the Exynos in Europe.

ChemicalKicks
22-10-2020, 13:22
I've went to the dark side.

I've ordered a 12 Pro.

Reasoning, Pixel really failed to deliver this year and the other manufacturers there's always some compromises or ads inserted or something. Or the fucking gimmicks, I just really want a good Google phone.

Last iPhone owned was a 6s, I used my Gmail as my iTunes login and used Google services to sync everything, all the Google apps worked well so the way I see it im getting a great Google phone (powered by Apple), I wish Google would get their shit together on the hardware front.

Stagflation
22-10-2020, 14:23
I guess if you've got a grand to spare, don't really see the point though when a phone costing less than half does everything you really need it to.

Stagflation
22-10-2020, 14:31
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/xiaomi-poco-f2-pro-review

I'd get that if I was after a new phone.

Moses
22-10-2020, 16:16
I've went to the dark side.

I've ordered a 12 Pro.

Reasoning, Pixel really failed to deliver this year and the other manufacturers there's always some compromises or ads inserted or something. Or the fucking gimmicks, I just really want a good Google phone.

Last iPhone owned was a 6s, I used my Gmail as my iTunes login and used Google services to sync everything, all the Google apps worked well so the way I see it im getting a great Google phone (powered by Apple), I wish Google would get their shit together on the hardware front.

Think I'm going to get the 12 Pro Max. Need to check how much capacity recording video chews up... imagine it's obscene.

Moses
22-10-2020, 16:18
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/xiaomi-poco-f2-pro-review

I'd get that if I was after a new phone.

Lol at the cons,

1. A little on the large side - okay, but people might want a big phone so that's weird.
2. Can get hot - lol.
3. Headphone jack was hard to use - LOL.

Spackers who can't make a phone that doesn't overheat and can somehow make a headphone jack less usable. CONFIDENCE INSPIRING.

ChemicalKicks
22-10-2020, 16:38
I guess if you've got a grand to spare, don't really see the point though when a phone costing less than half does everything you really need it to.

Yeah I get that, I've made that argument but with flagship Androids compared to what seemed at the time over priced iPhones. 1K isn't the worst and feature set, build and experience is worth that for me.

ChemicalKicks
22-10-2020, 16:40
Think I'm going to get the 12 Pro Max. Need to check how much capacity recording video chews up... imagine it's obscene.

Do you have a XL or max sized phone at the moment? My XL is kinda annoying at times, I miss one handed operation so I was prepared to downsize this year for once. What colour you thinking of, I just went for black. I ordered a case and magsafe charger and power brick too

Moses
22-10-2020, 17:31
I have a 6s Plus. There's stuff to make one handed okay like double tapping the home button to bring the top of the screen down etc... assume there's similar on the phones with no button. Small has pros... I like the 12 Pro mini for example... but think I prefer big phones overall.

Maybe the blue but not sure. Might get a case but don't think I will. Normally don't bother tbh. Dunno about AppleCare... that lasts for two years, right? I had that last time and got a cheap replacement when I broke it lols (obvs the costs of AppleCare plus the excess isn't insignificant, but cheaper than their full price repairs). I figure I could not bother with a case etc and just put that towards AppleCare... then two years in just get a replacement if anything is damaged. Idk. Quite like the idea of a case which I can put a couple of cards in and then sack off my separate wallet... but a case doesn't stop the screen getting broken etc and so maybe just go 'naked'.

ChemicalKicks
22-10-2020, 18:07
I heard the screen was a lil more likely to scratch this year because they improved the break resistance so I figure I'm gonna get a case and a screen protector. Plus I wanted to see how the cases and magsafe charges interact so just being a geek my end.

The blue looks really nice but coming from a white phone I wanted the exact opposite this time so black for me. Are you able to preorder the max now or you having to wait?

Moses
22-10-2020, 19:36
Have to wait until something like 6th November reee.

Cba with cases and screen protectors in general. Don’t like paying for a nice design/feel and then covering it up. Also dubious about screen protectors and how they feel etc (although have never used them lols).

ChemicalKicks
22-10-2020, 21:23
Lots a people bitching on Reddit about the screens scratching with fuck all done to them so may want to consider that.

My pixel I rocked with no case which worked well for about 20 months haha

Stagflation
23-10-2020, 08:44
Lol at the cons,

1. A little on the large side - okay, but people might want a big phone so that's weird.
2. Can get hot - lol.
3. Headphone jack was hard to use - LOL.

Spackers who can't make a phone that doesn't overheat and can somehow make a headphone jack less usable. CONFIDENCE INSPIRING.

I've not tried that model but I've got the older 9T, not had any of those issues.

Moses
23-10-2020, 13:20
Lots a people bitching on Reddit about the screens scratching with fuck all done to them so may want to consider that.

My pixel I rocked with no case which worked well for about 20 months haha

Link? Had a quick look but Googling just gets results showing fawning stories about how CERAMIC GLASS IS EPIC and people crying about the Apple cases not having holes for the speakers lols.

ChemicalKicks
23-10-2020, 14:31
Link? Had a quick look but Googling just gets results showing fawning stories about how CERAMIC GLASS IS EPIC and people crying about the Apple cases not having holes for the speakers lols.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/jgjm2u/iphone_12_pro_screen_scratched_in_less_5_minutes/

ChemicalKicks
23-10-2020, 14:32
AM SO EXCITED FOR NEW PHONE

Because I've had Android the last million years this new upgrade is gonna feel like an upgrade wooooooo

Chuckles
23-10-2020, 17:29
Got an iPhone 12 pro today :loool:

ChemicalKicks
23-10-2020, 17:42
Got an iPhone 12 pro today :loool:

When did you preorder you? What colour? Initial thoughts?

Chuckles
23-10-2020, 18:33
Preordered on the first day you could about a week ago.

Got it in Graphite.

Pretty much identical to the iPhone 11 Pro it replace :loool:

I do actually much prefer the design though. It feels like a bigger, more premium iPhone 5. The flat edges were always a much better design than curved ones IMO.

ChemicalKicks
23-10-2020, 18:47
Preordered on the first day you could about a week ago.

Got it in Graphite.

Pretty much identical to the iPhone 11 Pro it replace :loool:

I do actually much prefer the design though. It feels like a bigger, more premium iPhone 5. The flat edges were always a much better design than curved ones IMO.

Awesome, same colour as me. Hopefully I do t have to wait the 14/21 days I've been emailed :(

Have you tried 5g, what's the speed like?

ChemicalKicks
23-10-2020, 23:03
Alsoooooooo

What you Apple cunts using for photo backups? Currently in Google's realm and have 60Gb of photo's, should I just stick with that or migrate to iCloud? I can't think of a reason iCloud would be better? HMU

Moses
23-10-2020, 23:41
Alsoooooooo

What you Apple cunts using for photo backups? Currently in Google's realm and have 60Gb of photo's, should I just stick with that or migrate to iCloud? I can't think of a reason iCloud would be better? HMU

50GB storage: £0.79/$0.99 a month.
200GB storage: £2.49/$2.99 a month.
2TB storage: £6.99/$9.99 a month

That’s for iCloud. Can set it so all your photos automatically get uploaded and then available in all devices or via browser. Can then also ‘optimise storage’ on your phone where it keeps the full photos in the cloud and only thumbnails or whatever on your device. What do you pay currently?

(That’s not just for photo storage obvs, can use it for that and/or normal file storage)

Chuckles
23-10-2020, 23:52
No 5g where I live so not true it yet. And yes, if you got an Apple device to back up it's mad not to get iCloud as it costs fuck all and works great

ChemicalKicks
24-10-2020, 00:18
Moses, Chuckles,

I'm not sure about using iCloud at all 2.49 a month for what I get for free at the moment? I can launch Google photos from browser is that possible from icloud?

Messages... With Android I can go to messages.google.com and I can access all my SMS/RCS to send receive messages, I like this for work and home cos it's handy as fuck just to reply to SMS from any browser can iMessage do this?

ChemicalKicks
24-10-2020, 00:24
No 5g where I live so not true it yet. And yes, if you got an Apple device to back up it's mad not to get iCloud as it costs fuck all and works great

On the 5G note it's in Belfast just not where I am FFS I really wanna know the POWA of 5G, I'll have to take a dander into yheyxity centre to check. Where do you live?

Moses
24-10-2020, 00:54
Can access the photos via browser but when I used it a few years back it was shit. There’s iMessage on Mac computers and iPad etc, but dunno about non Apple stuff.

You can use iCloud to backup your phone if you want. I have the cheaper tier right now as I only have 26.5GB of photos.

You can trial it with the free tier obvs. You get 5GB maybe.

ChemicalKicks
24-10-2020, 09:16
I'm not overly worried about messages if I can't get them in browser then YOLO.

I think what I'll do is I'll use Google photos and I iCloud, so Google Photos for everything existing and to come and iCloud for everything new and just do it that way. As far as I can see there's no benefit moving my data from G to A when it's fully accessible from IPhone anyway

Chuckles
25-10-2020, 10:16
On the 5G note it's in Belfast just not where I am FFS I really wanna know the POWA of 5G, I'll have to take a dander into yheyxity centre to check. Where do you live?

On the Hampshire/Wiltshire boarder. I think Reading is the closest city with it. I'm not sure how useful it really is on mobiles. It'll be better when the coverage is like 4g and could replace broadband.

Frank Castle
25-10-2020, 15:49
I’m using an iPhone 8 Plus that I’ve had for about 3 years, it’s still mint and on its original screen

Malcolm Tucker
25-10-2020, 16:49
boarder

:dolefrog:

Moses
25-10-2020, 18:57
On the Hampshire/Wiltshire boarder. I think Reading is the closest city with it. I'm not sure how useful it really is on mobiles. It'll be better when the coverage is like 4g and could replace broadband.

Yeah, 5G is pointless for mobiles. Will be mint if we get to the point where hotspots/mobile broadband can be used to compete with wired internet though.

ChemicalKicks
25-10-2020, 18:59
FOR FUCK SAKE

3/4 WEEKS TO GET THE FUCKING PHONE

ChemicalKicks
25-10-2020, 19:00
I’m using an iPhone 8 Plus that I’ve had for about 3 years, it’s still mint and on its original screen

Crazy thinking that was only released 3 years ago, seems ancient today lol

LUKE WE CAN FACETIME EACH OTHER WHEN I GET MY PHONE, ARE YOU EXCITED?

Frank Castle
25-10-2020, 19:44
Yes of course

ChemicalKicks
26-10-2020, 22:10
1-2 weeks now woohoo

ChemicalKicks
03-11-2020, 15:59
STILL DONT HAVE MY FUCKING PHONE

Stagflation
03-11-2020, 17:45
It's just a phone, don't be a bugman.

ChemicalKicks
03-11-2020, 18:19
IT DEFINES ME AS A PERSON

ChemicalKicks
10-11-2020, 20:00
Finally got tracking.

It's coming tomorrow, the one fucking day I need to be in the office FFFFFFSSSSSSSS

yourmum
11-11-2020, 09:47
Finally got tracking.

It's coming tomorrow, the one fucking day I need to be in the office FFFFFFSSSSSSSS

phone in sick, tell them you have a got a rash on your nutsack

ChemicalKicks
11-11-2020, 12:01
phone in sick, tell them you have a got a rash on your nutsack

I was debating it, but I had promised to go in to help another team out and I'd look like right cunt if I didn't show.

yourmum
11-11-2020, 13:22
I was debating it, but I had promised to go in to help another team out and I'd look like right cunt if I didn't show.

fair enough, not many people with integrity left in this world.

ChemicalKicks
11-11-2020, 13:53
fair enough, not many people with integrity left in this world.

It's fucking shit. I've got a report I said I'd complete by Friday so looking to take the following week as a sicky haha

ChemicalKicks
14-11-2020, 15:59
Day 71 of my personal blog.

Phone update, got the phone. Fucking love it.

I decided to go all in, so I pulled all my photos out of Google and transferred to iCloud, this was a ballache. It took 3 days of downloading and reuploading.