PDA

View Full Version : spec me a brand new fucking network

Malcolm Tucker
15-07-2020, 09:48
mostly speaking to paedo geeks like chuckles, visage etc

I want

a good router, one I can assign VPN profile per device via mac address or something - dreytek look beefy?
a good poe switch
3 x poe cameras - need to see in the dark and look quite discreet, going under the soffit so maybe dome profile?
something to record cameras, a few days recording and remote monitoring via an app also good
3 x poe ap

brucey bonus - the best method to get network from that poe switch down to bottom of the garden, presumably armoured cable, but can it really maintain usable power to 100 metres?

Moses
15-07-2020, 10:33
Directional antenna thing to beam it to the end of the garden. Eg. Ubiquiti do them.

Chuckles
16-07-2020, 14:14
If you want the most versatile router possible, you could look at one of the ones you can install PFSense on.

I got a little 8 port Cisco POE switch, but only because my VOIP work phone needs it. Everyone's binned them off and moved to Teams though since Covid.

100 meters? How bigs your garden ffs

Malcolm Tucker
16-07-2020, 14:44
isn't cisco stuff a pita?

Chuckles
16-07-2020, 16:51
All I'm using it for is POE. There's a config portal with a load of options but I just left them all as default. You can make VLANs and that sort of thing if you want

Visage
17-07-2020, 20:22
If you're rouing ethernet to 100m away just shove a power cable alongside it.

Moses
18-07-2020, 16:41
Might get my place rewired and network cabling put in at the same time. What category of cable should I go for? Is it worth going cat 7a for silly levels of future proofing, given it wouldn't need another rewire for a ridiculous length of time?

Moses
19-09-2020, 23:12
mostly speaking to paedo geeks like chuckles, visage etc

I want

a good router, one I can assign VPN profile per device via mac address or something - dreytek look beefy?
a good poe switch
3 x poe cameras - need to see in the dark and look quite discreet, going under the soffit so maybe dome profile?
something to record cameras, a few days recording and remote monitoring via an app also good
3 x poe ap

brucey bonus - the best method to get network from that poe switch down to bottom of the garden, presumably armoured cable, but can it really maintain usable power to 100 metres?

What did you go for in the end?

Malcolm Tucker
19-09-2020, 23:49
new guttering

Moses
22-09-2020, 17:41
https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/usw-lite-16-poe

VoIJhVDv0Ps

:wank: