PDA

View Full Version : Home audio and automation setups

ChemicalKicks
13-06-2020, 18:49
So for my birthday my best half has treated me to a centre channel for my HiFi /AVR gear. I'm so happy. I already had a 2.1 arrangement so the next logical step was 3.1.

Got rid of the projector since it won't fit in our new house and have instead got a 75 inch screen now. All the speakers are MA except the sub which is BK electronics.

We've also went deep in with Google home / nest gear, everyroom has a hub, all the TV are Chromecast and honestly it's handy as fuck.

Anyone else in deep with Google, Amazon etc what's your audio setups etc?

Also Craig, can you please give me line breaks back again lol?

Frank Castle
15-06-2020, 10:58
Sounds wank you homo fake geek cunt

ChemicalKicks
15-06-2020, 20:59
Dude you got half your dick cut off, I'm sorry, it's never gonna happen.

Also who shit in your cabin?

ChemicalKicks
15-06-2020, 21:02
Also Peter Tyson are knobs. The emailed me today, the centre I want is out of stock apparently but you can still go on their site and order it... So they're sending me a more expensive one same paint option but it's not an exact match. It's gonna melt me.

Oswald
16-06-2020, 11:52
bought a 65inch sony
didnt even bother with a sound bar, sounds fine, saved loads of money just using the tv speakers

Moses
16-06-2020, 12:08
Have a couple of Google Home Minis - lounge and kitchen. Then a Nest Thermostat in the lounge. TV has a Chromecast and a Bowers and Wilkins A7 plugged in via the TV's optical out.

Can Airplay to that speaker, or just play via the TV/Chromecast/Spotify on PS4/whatever.

Am tempted by the idea of a Google Home Max for the kitchen... no idea what's best in terms of a smart speaker I can play Spotify through, but assume they're decent and obvs fits with what I have.

(Also have Hue lighting which has schedules and senses when I leave and come home etc which I could control via voice but I don't bother).

ChemicalKicks
16-06-2020, 14:38
You went in deep too.

I was also looking at the max for the kitchen too, don't like the idea of a camera in the living room. You know you can use it like a security camera?

How you finding thermostat, have looked into it a couple of times. Did you self install etc?

Can you control the Hue lighting through Google Home?

ChemicalKicks
16-06-2020, 14:39
bought a 65inch sony
didnt even bother with a sound bar, sounds fine, saved loads of money just using the tv speakers

Do you listen to music through your TV?

Moses
16-06-2020, 16:53
You went in deep too.

I was also looking at the max for the kitchen too, don't like the idea of a camera in the living room. You know you can use it like a security camera?

How you finding thermostat, have looked into it a couple of times. Did you self install etc?

Can you control the Hue lighting through Google Home?

Nawww, not a Nest Max Hub (https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_nest_hub_max) thing (one with the camera and screen), just a Home Max (https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home_max_speaker) (bigger speaker). Fuck putting a camera in my flat.

Had central heating put in a couple of weeks ago so they installed a Nest Thermostat then. Haven't used it since because it hasn't be cold at all. Was a completely new install because beforehand I just had electric storage heaters and an electric hot water tank for water.

ChemicalKicks
16-06-2020, 17:14
Nawww, not a Nest Max Hub (https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_nest_hub_max) thing (one with the camera and screen), just a Home Max (https://store.google.com/gb/product/google_home_max_speaker) (bigger speaker). Fuck putting a camera in my flat.

Had central heating put in a couple of weeks ago so they installed a Nest Thermostat then. Haven't used it since because it hasn't be cold at all. Was a completely new install because beforehand I just had electric storage heaters and an electric hot water tank for water.

OMG we just escaped from a flat. It had electric heating and water. We were putting 350 give or take a month onto the electric from Sep-Mar. Our new house it's dropped down to about 100 combined electric and gas, it's been amazing.

I quite liked the idea of the camera in the nest hub in the kitchen for when I video call my Mum. We've already got a IP camera for the baby so not against the idea in general.

Oswald
16-06-2020, 17:26
Do you listen to music through your TV?

No
Got a 300£ pay of headphones for dat

ChemicalKicks
16-06-2020, 17:39
That's make sense.

Got to take everything out of the living room tonight, got a plasterer coming in tomorrow :(

Moses
16-06-2020, 18:44
OMG we just escaped from a flat. It had electric heating and water. We were putting 350 give or take a month onto the electric from Sep-Mar. Our new house it's dropped down to about 100 combined electric and gas, it's been amazing.

I quite liked the idea of the camera in the nest hub in the kitchen for when I video call my Mum. We've already got a IP camera for the baby so not against the idea in general.

Yeah, my electric was ridiculous... the hot water tank was ANCIENT. Thankfully have a gas supply so it was a no-brainer to switch over.

https://ibb.co/82tFh4m

https://i.ibb.co/ZK7yZ1f/F6-B42807-F221-40-C9-B318-AE7125855-A59.jpg

Frank Castle
16-06-2020, 21:11
I’ve got an amazon echo studio £120

If you need more than that you’re an absolute cunt

ChemicalKicks
16-06-2020, 23:45
I do not believe that you have no other audio gear!

Frank Castle
18-06-2020, 14:35
Yeah I’ve got my old active studio monitors but one of them has blown a cone so they’re fucked lol

ChemicalKicks
18-06-2020, 17:19
FS mate you're minted, get some new ones! I'm gonna have to post a pic up once the living room is sorted. Plasterer came and sorted the wall, looking good.

Frank Castle
22-06-2020, 18:32
Not minted at min, just scraping by

Frank Castle
22-06-2020, 18:33
A lot better than I was 12 years ago tho :loool:

ChemicalKicks
23-06-2020, 15:43
We're all scraping by in our own way, long as you got an internet connection your fine lol

ChemicalKicks
23-06-2020, 15:44
No update on the home front still waiting on the plaster to fucking dry and started scraping the ceiling which isn't fun

ChemicalKicks
23-06-2020, 15:44
So got a sander and going to use that, it's got a hoover attachment but I bought a ventilator anyway, I look like Mr White from breaking bad haha

Visage
23-06-2020, 17:49
Don't dry it too quickly or else you'll fuck it.

With the warm weather just open a window.

ChemicalKicks
23-06-2020, 20:02
Don't dry it too quickly or else you'll fuck it.

With the warm weather just open a window.

I know, I'm resisting the urge, it's mostly dry just a but patchy. Can't wait to get a mist coat on it, paint it then stick the TV back up

Frank Castle
29-06-2020, 08:19
Best thing is an industrial dehumidifier

They literally suck a whole freshly plastered house dry overnight, without any shrinkage or cracking

Frank Castle
29-06-2020, 08:19
Visages mum used to suck me dry overnight. Dearly missed

ChemicalKicks
29-06-2020, 09:55
Best thing is an industrial dehumidifier

They literally suck a whole freshly plastered house dry overnight, without any shrinkage or cracking

Tried misting it too soon, had to wash half the paint off the wall again :(

ChemicalKicks
30-06-2020, 18:08
Well that's me, I win at life. I ordered the rear surrounds today, hopefully get them by the end of the week. Can't believe I've got my 5.1 finished. Think I might add another sub next year, anyone else doing a 5.2?