We are not afraid Current Bitcoin Price: $

Go Back   Shoe Vomit > Public Forums > Computers and Technology

Old 27-11-2009, 17:39   #11
Waj
I see you've played knifey spoony before...

AKA: Rich
Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

I must admit, it is tempting to try, I just don't have enough hard drives kicking about to try it with.
Waj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 18:25   #12
Chuckles
happy

Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

If you've got a usb drive of 8gb (possibly even 4 gb) you could avoid the need for the temporary one.
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 18:31   #13
Chuckles
happy

Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumJacker View Post
That's a fucking smart set-up, Chuckles. Very tempting indeed.
It took a while to learn all the shit and how to get it set up. Once you've got it cracked though, it would only take about an hour to install everything from scratch (windows and OSX).

My best advice would be to use a mounted image of snow leopard which you can make from the DVD because you'll end up fucking it up a fair few times at the beginning.

I geekbenched it and it is only just shy of the 16 core Mac Pros and whips all the 8 core ones (and anything you can buy up to 2.5k. Think the cost was about 800 all in.

Should have said, Sleep doesn't work properly. Apparently it is possible to get it going but given that I always disable it anyway, I couldn't be bothered.

I've even got an Mbox2 plugged in and running Pro Tools 8 which isn't even certified as running on a proper Mac running OSX 10.6 but everything works great.

The trick is to keep any Kexts on the /Extra partition. That is PC-EFI's way of mimicking the Mac's EFI partition. If you can do that, you can keep your Snow Leopard install totally vanilla and should never have an problems with OS updates etc.
Old 27-11-2009, 18:35   #14
Chuckles
happy

In fact Rich, isn't your mobo the one they used in the lifehacker article?

If so, that's even easier than my method because I think you can install direct to drive. Also bear in mind that if you have a mac knocking round already. you can use that which will save you the temporary hard drive.
Old 27-11-2009, 19:35   #15
Waj
I see you've played knifey spoony before...

AKA: Rich
Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Mine was very very similar. I have an 8GB and a 4GB drive kicking around too.

What is the second mac needed for? Cos my mate just bought one which i could probably use, or get him to send me any files I need...
Waj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 20:08   #16
Chuckles
happy

To use my method, you do the Snow Leopard install to a second hard drive, whilst already booted into OSX. You therefore need either a temporary hard drive with a crappy iAtkos installation on it, or a mac.
Old 27-11-2009, 20:25   #17
Desmo
Cad and Bounder

Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Got Kalyway10.5.2 running on my Inspiron but there aren't any working wireless drivers which makes it pretty fucking useless
Old 27-12-2009, 20:23   #18
Chuckles
happy

If anyone is interested, PC World are doing Dell Mini 9 netbooks for 149 in the sale. They are absolutely ideal for Snow Leopard and everything works fine in 1 easy install that a bloke has patched into OSX. The camera, wifi, sleep etc all fine.

2GB makes all the difference though so budget another 35 if you are planning on doing it and don't have 1 lying round.
Old 27-12-2009, 22:44   #19
ForumJacker
RAINBOW MAKER

ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker

I'm assuming that comes with the 16GB SSD if you're recommending hacintoshness?
Old 27-12-2009, 23:12   #20
Chuckles
happy

Yup.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/957263