We are not afraid

Go Back   Shoe Vomit > Public Forums > Computers and Technology

Old 12-01-2009, 08:49   #21
Desmo
Cad and Bounder

Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

I use shell quite a lot now. If I'm doing something out of the ordinary, I always try and learn to use the shell to do it so I'm learning as I go
Old 12-01-2009, 09:15   #22
JimmyEatWorms
The Baby Jesus

JimmyEatWorms offers personal services for rep

And already I am ready to throw the fucking laptop out the nearest window. You'd think doing something as simple as playing a video file of a windows share would be a piece of piss, wouldn't you. But oh no...not with linux...as usual it makes you jump through hoops to achieve the most simple task.

It appears that VLC does not have SMB support enabled by default in the version available in the repos so I either have to -

a) Recomplie VLC with the support added or
b) Mount my windows shares as smb folders (which perfectly honestly just doesn't fucking work)

Neither of these can be done without messing about in the shell...or if they can there is no obvious way of finding out about this as every time you google for help the answer might just as well be in greek.

I'm no idiot when it comes to computers. I've been in the industry for 11 years now...but boy does linux really chew my nads. I'm sure it's great once it's all set up the way you want it but god help you if you don't fancy googling for solutions to problems which to be quite frank, shouldn't even be problems in a modern operating system. I shall endure for a bit longer but I can see this getting wiped again by the weekend
JimmyEatWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:51   #23
Wossi
Wuffian

Wossi offers personal services for rep

Don't use VLC then. I don't on my laptop and the media player that comes as standard works just fine. Or use something like mplayer.
Wossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:52   #24
JimmyEatWorms
The Baby Jesus

JimmyEatWorms offers personal services for rep

I use mediaplayer because it's able to boost volume above the levels it is encoded at. Loads of DVD rips are encoded using AC3 which has a notorious "low volume" bug.

Anyway...I managed to get my shares mounted using fstab now so that's no longer an issue. I wonder when I'll next need to pop into the shell though. I'm sure it won't be long.

Last edited by JimmyEatWorms; 12-01-2009 at 10:56.
JimmyEatWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:32   #25
stuppy
Ruffian

stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.stuppy is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
There are ways "Hackintosh" of getting it working with certain models of PCs, but you are likely to get fucked up when updates come out.
Not necessarily. Depends what method you use. You can install Leopard retail onto PC's now and a lot of the 'patching' is done outside the OS.

Me for example - A config file that sits on the root of the boot drive passes instructions to the kernal about most of my hardware. I have to edit 3 driver files and add 2 extra files into the drivers folder - but other than that everything else is done outside the OS.

It took me 3-4 days to get my head around but most of it makes sense now.
stuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:54   #26
Booty Hotcock
By eck as like

AKA: Slinwagh
Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Is Linux not its own worst enemy to a degree with all the different flavours of it. Ubuntu, CentOS, SuSe, Mandriva and Fedora to name a few.
Booty Hotcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05   #27
Chocolate Hernandez
Sultan of Swagistan

AKA: Carlos The Jackal
Chocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant futureChocolate Hernandez has a brilliant future