We are not afraid Current Bitcoin Price: $

Go Back   Shoe Vomit > Public Forums > Computers and Technology

Old 09-01-2009, 15:30   #11
Chuckles
happy

Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveTheSalt View Post
Do you need a (dirty old) Mac to run OS X?
There are ways "Hackintosh" of getting it working with certain models of PCs, but you are likely to get fucked up when updates come out.
Chuckles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 16:52   #12
Nat

oooh

I rhought this htread was about biscuits
Old 09-01-2009, 17:01   #13
Visage
Lord Lucan

AKA: Bakez
Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Show us your hairy shortbread and it could be....
Visage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 17:47   #14
Rusty Shackleford
Proletariat

Rusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these partsRusty Shackleford is infamous around these parts

CentOS on a vps.
Rusty Shackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 20:31   #15
Desmo
Cad and Bounder

Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Desmo is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

I use Ubuntu 8.10 64bit on the lappy. Also got XP set up in a virtual box for the times I have to use Windows. It's nice being able to run them side by side
Old 10-01-2009, 00:04   #16
Bigstan
Fat Cunt

Bigstan offers personal services for rep

I run Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptops and my internet machine back home. I'm going to give Mythbuntu a try when I get my new media box set up. If I get on OK with that, I'll run the Mythbuntu frontend on my other media machine in the computer room, making my gaming rig the only one running Windows.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:52   #17
Mork
Psychotron

AKA: Mork
Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Mork is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

let me know how you get on with Mythbuntu, BigStan. I've got a Mac Mini I am thinking about putting it on, which currently runs OSX and Plex. I want an all-in-one PVR and Media Centre, but Plex doesn't have any PVR functionality so might give Mythbuntu a try.
Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:58   #18
Bigstan
Fat Cunt

It'll be a while before I get round to it. I've just arrived at work so I won't be home for about 4 weeks. If I get around to it before you do, I'll let you know.
Looks to me like it'll be a really handy thing if it works.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:02   #19
JimmyEatWorms
The Baby Jesus

JimmyEatWorms offers personal services for rep

Tried Ubunt a few times over the years but never really took to it. Just booted a LiveCD I had kicking about and it immediately recognised my graphics card and wireless doo-dah (the 2 most annoying problems previously).

So i've taken the plunge and i'm installing it on my laptop just now. I'll see how long I can live with it before I get completely frustrated with having to delve into the shell every time I want to do something useful

Incidentally, browsing the web (and posting this) while the OS is installing in the background is a fairly nifty trick
JimmyEatWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:38   #20
Bigstan
Fat Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyEatWorms View Post
Tried Ubunt a few times over the years but never really took to it. Just booted a LiveCD I had kicking about and it immediately recognised my graphics card and wireless doo-dah (the 2 most annoying problems previously).

So i've taken the plunge and i'm installing it on my laptop just now. I'll see how long I can live with it before I get completely frustrated with having to delve into the shell every time I want to do something useful

Incidentally, browsing the web (and posting this) while the OS is installing in the background is a fairly nifty trick
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Ubuntu has matured as an OS and nowadays it's hardly necessary to use the shell at all for everyday use, pretty much everything you want to do can be achieved from the GUI. About the only time I use the shell is to install stuff - I find sudo apt-get install easier and more convenient than using Synaptic.