We are not afraid

Go Back   Shoe Vomit > Public Forums > Computers and Technology

Old 30-05-2013, 11:50   #101
Chuckles
happy

Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

If you can get it to boot using the DVD, you can then use the Unibeast method. You shouldn't be burning 10.8 to a DVD. You do it to a USB disk.

There's no point in messing round with 10.5/10.6 - They are really old. You only get them on as a quick workround to be able to use Unibeast if you don't have access to a Mac.

Neither myself or iam want to spend hours cleaning threads up and dealing with RTM's so do us a favour and reign it in a bit please.

This is now serious business.
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 12:00   #102
Enoch Powell
Black-pilled

AKA: ENOCH POWELL
Location: almost entirely immersed in an online world of "echo chambers" where I feel the pull of extremism
Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

If I do that, how would I get around not having AHCI? The guides I see tell you to enable it in the BIOS first.
Enoch Powell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 12:08   #103
Chuckles
happy

Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Chuckles is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Oh I forgot you didn't have AHCI. To be honest, you're going to be fighting a losing battle. AHCI is required for 10.6 upwards. There might be some patched versions that some chumps put together but it's not worth the hassle. Any update is liable to break it and I doubt it'll be stable.

Your best bet would be to buy a cheap PCI sata card. I use this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-U3S6-US...=pci+sata+ahci

so I know it works. Even thought my board supports AHCI it's only SATA2 and USB2 so I got one of those. I suspect one of the cheaper 10 quid ones will be fine as long as it supports AHCI.

Neither myself or iam want to spend hours cleaning threads up and dealing with RTM's so do us a favour and reign it in a bit please.

Old 30-05-2013, 12:15   #104
Enoch Powell
Black-pilled

Location: almost entirely immersed in an online world of "echo chambers" where I feel the pull of extremism
Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Hmm looks like they are all PCI-Express and my board has no PCI-E slots (other than for the graphics card).

I read about someone who did install 10.8 on a non-AHCI machine by modifying something, but details are sketchy because no doubt most people will have an AHCI capable machine.

Wouldn't bother me to use an old version of OSX, and just not update it (to avoid breaking it) - it isn't something I'd use very often. The idea was to use my existing old hardware rather than actually spend any money.

In fact though, given how easy it has been to install it on my existing machine without it affecting my Windows installation, I could just as easily install it on my forthcoming new build which will obviously have AHCI.
Old 30-05-2013, 12:21   #105
Chuckles
happy

There are a few PCI ones about but if you don't want to spend anything I'd literally chuck the thing in the bin and do it on the new one instead. You could always pull the old HDD and use it in the new system for OSX. It's easier to have them on completely separate drives when you dual boot rather than partitioning.

Old 30-05-2013, 12:24   #106
Enoch Powell
Black-pilled

Yes I would do that, use my old SSD purely for OSX like I am doing now.

I wonder if I hypothetically bought the latest stuff, Haswell chip and board etc. if 10.8 would work on it though, it wouldn't have the necessary drivers perhaps.
Old 30-05-2013, 12:28   #107
pant
Your next wife

AKA: pant
pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.pant is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

http://lifehacker.com/tag/hackintosh
pant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 12:35   #108
Chuckles
happy

I'd imagine Apple are releasing some new hardware on June 10th for WWDC which will be Haswell based so the next update (10.8.4) will support it.