We are not afraid Current Bitcoin Price: $

Go Back   Shoe Vomit > Public Forums > Serious Business

Old 14-04-2016, 21:12   #1
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

AKA: ENOCH POWELL
Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.
Default Gas explosions in residential properties

Whole apartment building in Spain blows up, one woman found dead, nine missing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36048105

This happens from time to time, and seems an inevitable consequence of having homes with gas running through them.

This might not be a very widely held view, but I have always thought it slightly insane that we allow gas into our homes and rely on proper servicing and maintenance not to either die from poisonous fumes or from an explosion. We are conditioned to think that having gas is normal, but if you suggested having petrol fuelled appliances and petrol running through pipes in our homes, people would think you were mental. But how is gas materially different? In some ways, gas is even more dangerous in fact, in its ability to produce large bomb-like explosions. (Oh, and from time to time, there are deliberate gas explosions too - people deliberately leaving the gas on with the intent of harming people or property.)

Using gas as a power source makes sense, but shouldn't we have just used it to power gas fired power stations, and create electricity with it? It would also remove the need for annual servicing, or at least remove the danger aspect. The worst that can happen if your electric heating fails is you are cold, it doesn't gas you or blow you up.
Enoch Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 21:14   #2
TheSultanOfShoeVomit
Going for a swim

AKA: Starkweather
TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

A small petrol leak is still flammable whereas gas needs to be at the right ratio to ignite
Old 14-04-2016, 21:16   #3
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSultanOfShoeVomit View Post
A small petrol leak is still flammable whereas gas needs to be at the right ratio to ignite
Okay but you take the point I assume. Gas is a dangerous substance, why not keep it in a controlled environment away from residential properties.
Old 14-04-2016, 21:16   #4
natalie
Cad and Bounder

natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

the thing i find most hocking is that despite the fact that rental properties have a legal requirement to have an anual gas safety check, there is nothing forcing hoe owners to have one, and some people never have their appliances serviced.
natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 21:20   #5
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie View Post
the thing i find most hocking is that despite the fact that rental properties have a legal requirement to have an anual gas safety check, there is nothing forcing hoe owners to have one, and some people never have their appliances serviced.
That's the thing, it doesn't just affect your own property either does it - a gas explosion has the potential to take out half the street and it's happened many times. I just instinctively distrust gas and in my home I have had it removed. But if a neighbour's place in the building blows up, it will take mine with it.

Before someone says it - do I think it's likely? No, it's very rare. But it shouldn't ever happen. There is no need to have the actual gas in homes.
Old 14-04-2016, 21:27   #6
natalie
Cad and Bounder

natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.natalie is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Powell View Post
That's the thing, it doesn't just affect your own property either does it - a gas explosion has the potential to take out half the street and it's happened many times. I just instinctively distrust gas and in my home I have had it removed. But if a neighbour's place in the building blows up, it will take mine with it.

Before someone says it - do I think it's likely? No, it's very rare. But it shouldn't ever happen. There is no need to have the actual gas in homes.
when we moved into our house there was a crappy electric fireplace in, and we took the fire out as it was just freestanding on the hearth, and the back was this sheet of crap marble print plastic stuff. I lifted it to see if it was removeable without needng a plaster and this gas pipe just fell out, with cellotape on it. :/
Old 14-04-2016, 21:27   #7
ForumJacker
RAINBOW MAKER

ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker
Default Gas explosions in residential properties

Better heat control on a gas hob, so there's every need for that sweet smell of gas.
Old 14-04-2016, 21:29   #8
natalie
Cad and Bounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumJacker View Post
Better heat control on a gas hob, so there's every need for that sweet smell of gas.
induction is as good as gas for heat control.

and you cant forget to switch it off and set fire to the oven gloves and come back later to a pile of ash
Old 14-04-2016, 21:31   #9
ForumJacker
RAINBOW MAKER

ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker

I would imagine there's a higher chance of you being killed in a car crash. Would you consider giving up driving and travelling by car altogether?
Old 14-04-2016, 21:34   #10
ForumJacker
RAINBOW MAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie View Post
induction is as good as gas for heat control.

and you cant forget to switch it off and set fire to the oven gloves and come back later to a pile of ash

Bollocks to induction and I've never set fire to anything on a gas hob.

Though I have burnt plenty of bread in an ELECTRIC toaster.