We are not afraid Current Bitcoin Price: $

Go Back   Shoe Vomit > Public Forums > Computers and Technology

Old 16-03-2016, 12:13   #41
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

AKA: ENOCH POWELL
Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

From the reddit link on the previous page.

Quote:
[–]bluew200 164 points 4 days ago*

What business runs consumer-grade OS instead of pro version. Its literally made for them...
Quote:
[–]TonyHoyle 207 points 4 days ago

The upgrade happens to domain joined pro versions of the OS. The only OS that is immune is Enterprise, which isn't common even in business due to its cost.

As it's now a critical update most wsus configurations will automatically allow it (few companies have the manpower to run wsus in manual mode).
Old 16-03-2016, 12:18   #42
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
We've been getting calls trickling in all week from doctor's offices, dental practices, B&Bs, and roofing companies -- among others -- that have been hit by this and it's a fucking mess.

In some cases the upgrade went OK and the user is just really confused. In others Windows 10 is asking for a login password the user set years ago and hasn't used since, that was fun. In still another it's screwed up access to their shared folders.

I'm >this< close to telling the techs to disable automatic updates completely for all business customers.
Quote:
Had my work PC (win 8.1) update to 10 with me actively not downloading and installing... worst part it just did it randomly just before lunch, no warning, no pop up. Just printed some notes and after coming back from the print room i was greeted with Windows 10 is installing... 10%

Thanks for that
Quote:
I was about done with a presentation while working late the other night. Adding some spacing here and there. One fateful enter keystroke just as a windows update prompt was popping up. Didn't even fully load the prompt, went straight into the update. Didn't even give me a chance to save my file. Fuck you so much, Microsoft.

It's basically an aggressive form of malware, and Windows 10 itself pretty squarely fits the dictionary definition of spyware.
Old 16-03-2016, 13:04   #43
ForumJacker
RAINBOW MAKER

ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker

So this is an issue?
Old 16-03-2016, 13:08   #44
Peter Pervs
In the mood for dancing

AKA: stealth
Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Powell View Post
On the contrary, lots of reports of businesses getting unwanted upgrades. Only the enterprise version is immune apparently, the regular Pro version isn't.
You've got to wonder about a businesses IT department if Windows 10 is mysteriously installing itself though.

I've always had updates set to manual on home PC's and even after a scan Windows 10 wasn't available as an update. Might just be down to my hooky os though.
Peter Pervs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 13:12   #45
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

Mine is set to manual as well but it still downloaded the entire Win 10 installation files and THEN told me it was available, and installing it was the default option. It then doesn't go away, TELLING it to go away doesn't work. If you haven't had this problem then yes it could be because your copy is not legit, I don't know.
Old 16-03-2016, 13:14   #46
Peter Pervs
In the mood for dancing

Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

You must have it set to download but not install updates then?
Old 16-03-2016, 13:14   #47
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

On my laptop I've just disabled updates entirely, I know it's a bit of a security risk but I mainly only use it for browsing the web anyway. And it avoids all the svchost taking up 100% CPU for ten minutes at a time whenever it feels like it bullshit which has plagued Windows OSes for many years and MS have never got to grips with.
Old 16-03-2016, 13:14   #48
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pervs View Post
You must have it set to download but not install updates then?
No.

Pay attention Mr Peter Pervs, Microsoft ignores these settings and does it anyway.
Old 16-03-2016, 13:16   #49
Peter Pervs
In the mood for dancing

Serves you right for being legit.
Old 16-03-2016, 13:18   #50
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

TBH Microsoft are a fucking shit company who rest on their fat laurels because of their historical dominance.