We are not afraid Current Bitcoin Price: $

Go Back   Shoe Vomit > Public Forums > Computers and Technology

Old 16-03-2016, 09:38   #31
Peter Pervs
In the mood for dancing

AKA: stealth
Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Did Microsoft learn nothing from U2 ffs?
Peter Pervs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 11:10   #32
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

AKA: ENOCH POWELL
Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSultanOfShoeVomit View Post
Can I start up in safe mode and stop it?
Do you feel that you could? Would that be a logical rational extension of your feelings on how this matter could potentially, if you chose to let go of your negative beliefs about Windows 10, proceed with a positive outcome?
Old 16-03-2016, 11:11   #33
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Enoch Powell is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pervs View Post
Did Microsoft learn nothing from U2 ffs?
After the Windows Vista debacle, Windows 7 regained MS a ton of credibility and goodwill. I think after Windows 8 and now the abomination of Windows 10, MS are urgently trying to piss it all away as rapidly as they can.

To think that MS got in trouble merely for making IE the default browser. Actually trashing people's working OSes and forcibly throwing it in the bin and replacing it with a newer, unasked for version is a whole order of magnitude more intrusive than that. Where are the authorities while this is happening?

Last edited by Enoch Powell; 16-03-2016 at 11:20.
Enoch Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 11:13   #34
ForumJacker
RAINBOW MAKER

ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker

I've not respected MS since Clippy.
Old 16-03-2016, 11:18   #35
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

Microsoft fucked off the 'dog' and clippy for a number of reasons but essentially because they were shit. Now we have the 2016 version of clippy and it's an all knowing, all seeing smug bitch called Cortana

And she cannot be disabled (easily or properly without hacking half your OS to pieces).
Old 16-03-2016, 11:22   #36
Visage
Lord Lucan

AKA: Bakez
Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Visage is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Now you know how we feel about your posts.
Old 16-03-2016, 11:31   #37
ForumJacker
RAINBOW MAKER

ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker ForumJacker

I always found Cortana quite helpful in Halo.
Old 16-03-2016, 11:47   #38
Malcolm Tucker
The Enforcer

Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

I think they reserve the right to be a bit pushy with Windows 10, you know, with nagging of 7 users to upgrade. It's a bit annoying but it's passive, and unless the user makes a concious decision to take them up on the offer then fair enough. That's traditionally how it works, and I daresay the majority of Windows users like being in control of their PC in that way.

To shunt it through as a 'recommended' update so it installs pretty much autonomously on a certain reboot when you least expect it, I'm sort of surprised they haven't had more backlash over it. Businesses are excluded I suppose because any decent SME will have their PCs on a domain, which doesn't fuck about with Windows 10 like this. Yet.

Quote:
Here's my experience. I'm clearly not alone. Hopefully somebody in Microsoft will read these and understand we aren't akin to the mindless drones in their adverts, staring gloss eyed at our screens, sipping some hideous pretentious concoction from the herbal tea box, commenting to nobody in the room 'How easy this is'

I was happily working away on my PC, using a number of third party apps in concert, dual screen setup, all how I like it. It's not just a random preference, it's for my productivity. I'm a freelance photographer and video editor. I like my PC just so. Doesn't everyone? I get a phone call and step away from the machine, I also make a drink while I'm up. Normal coffee by the way, like a normal person. I return after about 10-15 minutes. I’m presented with a screen I don’t immediately recognise. ‘Are you fucking kiddin’ me right now?’ Now I AM the one talking to my computer. Windows 10 is 11% through its installation. I obviously dare not try to stop it now, as much as I want to, so I wait 1 hour and 45 fucking minutes to complete. I read on my phone in the meantime I can hit Decline when it's done and I’ll be returned to 7 but only after another 1-2 hours of un-installing what it just installed. I just need to get back to work, the call earlier was a client who is awaiting on me. Fuck. Fine. So I hit ‘Continue’ Big mistake, HUGE.

It soon dawns on me this wasn’t a smooth background change to the OS as I was beginning to convince myself it would be in that intervening 1 hour and 45 minutes. I discover the fact some of my third party apps and other elements of my setup are gone. Completely fucking gone. One third party app is also now blocked from being run on the grounds its incompatible, the dual screen configuration is lost. It's a total fucking mess. It’s going to take hours to get back to how it was. I’m now positive I made the wrong decision on upgrading. It wasn’t truly my decision though, if we’re being frank about it.

It's also running terribly slowly, why is that? The Windows 7 install wasn't lightning quick on account of being 14 months old but it was still very usable, this isn't. Maybe the install is smashed, it was after all, downloaded in fragments in the background over a period of weeks. Or maybe it's the concert of programs that aren’t supported on Windows 10, causing it grief. All valid criticisms but forgivable if I, the user, decided to take the plunge myself.

I learned of the rollback option soon after, and after 2 hours and 25 minutes, I was finally back to my original setup. Some apps were still missing, which is irksome, but they were reinstalled without an issue. At 3.30am I finally complete the work I had been tabled to finish the other side of midnight. Fuck you Microsoft, fuck you very much.
lol ffs
it's probably an FBIPLANTBYJEWSWHOALSODID911BTW
Malcolm Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 12:09   #39
Enoch Powell
Putinbot, obviously

On the contrary, lots of reports of businesses getting unwanted upgrades. Only the enterprise version is immune apparently, the regular Pro version isn't.

To think that the reports online are probably the tip of the iceberg. What of all the ordinary non-tech savvy people using 7 one day, then suddenly faced with a fait accompli and left scratching their heads about wtf is going on.
Old 16-03-2016, 12:10   #40
TheSultanOfShoeVomit
Going for a swim

AKA: Starkweather
TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.TheSultanOfShoeVomit is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Powell View Post
Do you feel that you could? Would that be a logical rational extension of your feelings on how this matter could potentially, if you chose to let go of your negative beliefs about Windows 10, proceed with a positive outcome?
I feel positive and able to take on Windows 10 but I may have to slay any sarcastic cunts I encounter, just to get in the right headspace