We are not afraid Current Bitcoin Price: $

Go Back   Shoe Vomit > Public Forums > Computers and Technology

Old 09-08-2010, 13:46   #1
Overwatch
Prosecuting.

Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.
Default Spec me some sweet PC components.

I'm looking into replacing my PC which self-imolated itself a while back.

My buget is between 600 - 800 and I'll be obviously building it myself to maximise the performance for the price paid (So no buy a Dell/HP/Advent shit please) All of the listed parts are up for change.

I'm pretty much settled on the graphics cards:
XFX HD 5830 1GB DDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card With Aliens vs Predators DX11 Game
or
XFX 5850 1GB DDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card +40 each
or
Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card +35 each

The RAM:
OCZ 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Gold Memory Kit CL10(10-10-10-30) 1.65V

The Chip:
Intel Core i5 processor 655K 3.20GHZ Socket 1156 4MB cache Retail Box Processor With Unreal Tournament 3 Download Voucher
or
Intel i5 760 2.8GHz Socket 1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Not sure if I want speed or cache here.

The PSU:
Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Modular PSU - 2x 8pin PCI-E 2x 6pin PCI-E 4x 12V Rails 80PLUS Energy Efficiency
or
Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W Modular PSU

The Board
Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD6 P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Current sub total: 828.79 ex VAT

Not sure on the motherboard yet which is of course the most important part save maybe the PSU.

It needs two PCI-e (with a spacer) so I can fit two Graphics cards with 1 card slot heat sinks.

And a few extra PCI's below that would be good.

I would also like 6 Dimm Slots if possible but I'm yet to find a good motherboard with more than 4.

Last edited by Overwatch; 11-08-2010 at 11:41.
Overwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 13:56   #2
Malcolm Tucker
The Enforcer

Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

I looked for a while for 6 DIMM slots but there always seemed to be a trade-off between lots of RAM and the rest of the board. I may have been an idiot and missed the perfect board though. I settled on 4 cos that gave me 8GB of RAM which tbh is plenty. By time I'll need more than 8GB to play games etc I'll be certainly on my next machine.

Out of touch with processors but that PSU looks beefed ffs, and modular is a good choice, no more stuffing unused cables under the DVD drive
it's probably an FBIPLANTBYJEWSWHOALSODID911BTW
Malcolm Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 13:59   #3
Booty Hotcock
By eck as like

AKA: Slinwagh
Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

You don't need a 1Kw PSU for a start.

If you want 6 DIMM slots then you are going to need a X58 based motherboard.
Booty Hotcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 13:59   #4
Overwatch
Prosecuting.

Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Overwatch is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I looked for a while for 6 DIMM slots but there always seemed to be a trade-off between lots of RAM and the rest of the board. I may have been an idiot and missed the perfect board though. I settled on 4 cos that gave me 8GB of RAM which tbh is plenty. By time I'll need more than 8GB to play games etc I'll be certainly on my next machine.

Out of touch with processors but that PSU looks beefed ffs, and modular is a good choice, no more stuffing unused cables under the DVD drive
I can only buy awesome ram in 2 and 3 stick bundles though. 2 is more expensive per stick.

If I have 6 slots I can put one in each bus rather than filling 1 and having one half empty.

It also gives me a lot of upgrade potential. I plan on keeping this one for another 4 - 5 years until it ignites.
Old 09-08-2010, 14:00   #5
iam
HAPPY

AKA: iam
iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinwagh View Post
THIS.

And you want an nVidia card The new 460 for example.
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

GOD BLESS YOU.
EACH AND EVERY ONE.

Hidden Spoiler Content
HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY

Hidden Spoiler Content
AND A SUPER DOOPER DAY
iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:01   #6
Overwatch
Prosecuting.

Quote:

If you want 6 DIMM slots then you are going to need a X58 based motherboard.
I'd rather have too much than too little.

Remember I maybe changing the card/add more (if the board allows this) down the line.

I'm trying to future proof and protect my investment.

Beefed PSU's are a good start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam View Post
THIS.

And you want an nVidia card The new 460 for example.
I've never been keen on nVidia. Convince me with some affordable cards that are superior to the HD5830's I've speced and I'm all ears.
Old 09-08-2010, 14:03   #7
Booty Hotcock
By eck as like

AKA: Slinwagh
Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Booty Hotcock is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

I have a 5870 and only have a 650W PSU.
Booty Hotcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:04   #8
iam
HAPPY

AKA: iam
iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.iam is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Yes but 1000W is too future proofed ffs.

You can get something like this and that would still be overkill, and save you 50.
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

GOD BLESS YOU.
EACH AND EVERY ONE.

Hidden Spoiler Content
HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY

Hidden Spoiler Content
AND A SUPER DOOPER DAY
iam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:05   #9
Overwatch
Prosecuting.

Quote:
I have a 5870 and only have a 650W PSU.
I'm buying two. They draw plenty and I'm not completely confident in our electrical system at home.
Old 09-08-2010, 14:05   #10
Malcolm Tucker
The Enforcer

Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Malcolm Tucker is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Is the current maximum 2GB per stick? 8GB is a LOT of RAM and considering it's a gaming machine. By time you need more than 8GB to play games, I'd imagine your CPU will be way out of date anyway Plus if they make 4GB sticks in the future that's 16GB of RAM
it's probably an FBIPLANTBYJEWSWHOALSODID911BTW
Malcolm Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nvidiots gonna nvid