Thread: Half life 3
View Single Post
Old 15-01-2012, 11:49   #20
Peter Pervs
In the mood for dancing

AKA: stealth
Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Peter Pervs is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIBRARY DOG View Post
This, as they've stated many times, is based on the version used up to Episode 1. Possibly Episode 2 by now if they went over stuff again but I doubt that. So being realistic, it's based on Episode 1, released in 2006, which was a good game, but not known for its visuals these days. So the very latest updates to the engine for Black Mesa are already 6 years out of date.
According to their FAQ they're using the EP2 version of Source, so the 2007 SDK. It then says that they may port that to the 2010 version of Source but doesn't say whether they have or not.

Quote:
Which version of Source will be used in the Mod?

Currently the Orange Box version (Source SDK 2007, used in Half-Life 2: Episode Two) [1]. It is planned to port Black Mesa to the Source 2009/10 (the latest version of the engine) [2], except if Valve delays for too long the release of the Source 2010 SDK [3]. The 2009 SDK is currently not being used because of a lack of custom shader support, among other reasons [4].
Even if it's the EP2 version of Source, that's still pretty nice looking, especially as most people will be comparing it to the old original version of Half Life anyway.
Some of the screenshots look really good, and as I loved the original Half life I'd like to play BM-Source, but the delays have just meant I don't really care about following it's progress anymore.

From the stats page it still seems like they're working on it, but I really think they need to get it out this year because even an updated Source version of HL1 will still be getting too old in 2013 to have a real impact, especially if HL3 appears first using a brand new engine or something.
Peter Pervs is offline   Reply With Quote