Thread: Half life 3
View Single Post
Old 14-01-2012, 15:48   #19
Waj
I see you've played knifey spoony before...

AKA: Rich
Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.Waj is a cheating bobble-hatted mincebag.

I think the mod scene itself will slowly die out over the coming years. Certainly in terms of conversion mods (as opposed to say promod for COD). The amount of time needed to craft the high quality models and textures, code the complex AI, etc. that modern games demand is just going to become stupid and completely unfeasible for the bedroom mod developer to do in his spare time.

That's why I think there has been more of a surge in 'Indie' games recently. These people are now just going about developing and releasing their stuff as a game in it's own right so they can make money from it and justify the time commitments in a way that a mod couldn't do.

BM:S for example - they'll have to release it free because of what it is, but if they'd pull all that time and and effort into their own game, they may have actually made some money out of it at the end. I think that's the direction more and more developers are taking now.
Waj is offline   Reply With Quote